POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 19th Century Schoolhouse [WIP] : Re: 19th Century Schoolhouse [WIP] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 19th Century Schoolhouse [WIP]
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 19 Jan 2004 21:04:08
Message: <400c8c98$1@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote in message

> "Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message
> |
> | Hopefully, I'll be adding more imperfectiosn to things as time
> | progresses.

"imperfetiosn"?  It's ironic that I misspelled that word.  ;-)

> That won't help without doing something to make up for atmospheric haze.
> Focal blur, media, or some type of post-process. I think that the model
> is fine, but at this size, a person just doesn't expect to see every
> brick clearly.

Good point.  I'm still a newbie in several aspects, and often, I'm not sure
"why" things don't look right, I just no that they don't look right.  I have
a new computer upgrade coming soon, which I'll probably need to make use of,
after having radiosity + focal blur + area lights + grass.  The grass +
radiosity really kills.  Even if my new computer is twice as fast, it won't
be fast enough.  I need 200GHz, right now...  ;-)  I'm planning on adding
some trees to cast shadows onto the school (and ground), plus some
background farm models, maybe corn and/or beans.  Maybe a distant woods.
I'm hoping all of that will liven it up a bit.  I figure I'm still months
away from having it done to my liking.  I hope it retains my interest.

> Nice model, and I really like the way you are building it piece by
> piece.

Thanks! =)  Doing "piece by piece" made the most sense to me initially, but
given the long parse times, I've had to create a few switches to turn things
on/off so that I don't have to wait thru a 5-minute parse for each test
render.

One of the unintended side-effects is that I'm learning quite a bit about
architecture and history.  I doubt that anyone else is as interested in this
stuff as I am (now), but here's a good site that I came across which briefly
discusses one-room schools in Michigan
http://www.lib.cmich.edu/clarke/schoolsintro.htm

--
Jeremy